Sunday, December 30, 2012

My First Hanukkah Party


I promise, this blog will not become a cat video blog. But this was such a cutie pie cat that I met in Tel Aviv that I couldn't resist giving it some air time on my blog! And by the way, cats are such great traffic-drivers.



This morning, I went through surgery. No worries, it was minor surgery. Performed by myself. With a big glass of rum as the sole anesthetic. I had to extricate a little piece of glass from my foot and I was too chicken to see a real doctor. So I decided to do it myself. My father told me many times how a local doctor removed his appendix during or right after the Second World War. The kitchen was the operation room and my grandfather gave my dad some very strong Jenever, a Dutch gin drink, to relax. That’s what they used to knock out a little boy during those times. But I am not as much of a hero as my dad and I whimpered through the whole operation, reeling from the Cuban anesthetic so early in the morning. Now I have a good excuse to spend some recovery time in our little home office to tell you about my very first Hanukkah party before it is old news.


Mural in Tel Aviv



During my 36-hour weekend in Israel, my friend Itay invited me to a Hanukkah party at his aunt’s house in Savyon, a small town east of Tel Aviv that is home to the well-heeled. I called my little niece in Belgium on the ride from Jerusalem over there. It was her sixth birthday. Life is exciting when you’re six years old. Especially when your aunt calls you from a place that clearly doesn’t exist. She couldn’t believe I had spent the day in the city where Jesus used to live. To her, it’s like visiting someone in My-Little-Poneyland. It’s almost as magic and awesome as the treasure hunt her dad had organized for her and her little friends that afternoon.










I parked my car under the big trees on a fancy street called Har Dafna and walked through the dark into the bright home of Itay’s warm and welcoming – and probably pretty wealthy – extended family. Life is still exciting when you’re no longer six years old and you take a special interest in Israel and Jewish culture. I had brought my camera, ready to document my very first Hanukkah party.

I tried out my Hebrew-for-beginners lines and after shalom and naim meod, I very quickly ran out of lines. I can count till hundred and ask for directions to the post office in Hebrew but that wasn’t too useful that very evening. Thank god for English!  
  
Itay’s cousin explained that Hanukkah is the festival of lights and it is observed for eight nights and eight days. But first, she told me that, as an obstetrician, all she does all day long is look at pussy. Given her transparency on such an important matter – Flemish people are generally way more introverted when they talk about their jobs – I decided to listen carefully to her brief history lesson. At Hanukkah, people commemorate the rededication of the Temple in the second century before the Common Era, when the Maccabees defeated the Hellenists. The victorious troops wanted to purify the Temple by burning ritual oil for eight days but they had only oil for one day. But… they were in luck. That oil ended up burning for 8 days and that’s what Jews celebrate every year at Hanukkah. At Hanukkah, people eat fried foods, to celebrate the miracle of the oil, and perhaps also to add some protective weight before the cold of winter sets in. It’s traditional to eat latkes (fried potato pancakes) and sufganiyot (jelly-filled doughnuts). I’ll have to try out some gluten-free recipes because unfortunately, I wasn’t able to taste the goodies that Itay’s aunt had prepared. During the winter time, we eat something very similar in Northern Europe. Little sufganiyot that we call oliebollen. Once again, I discovered a universal truth: life is too short to eat rice cakes.




After a while, the real star of the evening rushed in, a great-aunt who had moved to Israel from South Africa a couple of years ago and who seemed to have a great attitude to life. She complained about the freezing cold. It was a meager 15 degrees outside – Celsius, mind you. As a result, she was bundled up in a fur coat that she threw on my shoulders to convince me about how light and warm it was. And that is how I, a vegetarian, was caught on camera with a little dead raccoon draped over my shoulders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment